If you’ve been scrolling through Instagram or checking out some crafting ideas on Pinterest, you’ve probably seen some resin crafts. They’re everywhere right now! Often, you’ll see gorgeous resin tables or large pieces of art, but resin can be used for crafts you can make yourself, too!
Let’s learn a little more about this extremely popular and trendy craft!
What is resin?
Resin is a type of hard plastic that you can make by mixing together two parts: the resin and the hardener. When you combine them, initially, it starts as a liquid, but the chemical reaction allows it to become a durable, hard, clear, high-gloss surface once set.
In the past, resin has been used for many things such as floors, tables, and even boats. But nowadays, resin is becoming more popular and easier to find because it’s being used for crafting projects like jewelry, various home décor items, paintings, and more.
What are some different things you can do with resin?
There are lots of different things you can do with resin. You can:
- Use it to finish off a piece of art or furniture – For example, you can pour resin on top of a painting to give it a protective coating that really makes the colors vibrant.
- Resin can be used to create special effects in your piece with the addition of paints. You might add a paint that shimmers or sparkles. Additionally, you can add items that can be suspended in resin, such as dried flowers, glitter, shells, or other items.
- You can create a 3D look with resin by layering different colors.
- You can use resin alone to create projects in molds that have extremely unique characteristics based on how you layer it in your mold.
What crafts can you make with resin?
When it comes to crafting with resin, the ideas are practically endless! You can make:
- Coffee tables
- Home deco
- Trays and Boards (like for charcuterie and cheese)
- And so much more!
What supplies do you need for pouring resin?
When it comes to gathering supplies for your resin project, here are some of the basics:
- Casting resin
- Mixing cups
- A level surface for casting
- Wax paper, freezer paper, or some other protective covering
- Resin molds or some other vessel to pour the resin into
This can be quite the investment if you’re just a starting out and want to learn more about resin pouring – which is why Corks ‘n Crafts has added resin pouring classes to our schedule. You can come take a class with us and learn all about this popular craft without having to make a huge investment in supplies. We’ll have everything you need!
Is resin pouring a beginner-friendly craft?
Yes! Resin pouring is a beginner-friendly craft – especially when you have the help of the instructors at Corks ‘n Crafts. Our crafting leaders will guide you through each and every step so you can create a resin masterpiece – which means you don’t need any experience to create something spectacular!
And keep in mind that each resin craft is fully customizable. We encourage you to choose from a selection of paint and stain colors to create a unique color palette that matches your individual style.
How do I sign up for a class?
Signing up for a class with Corks ‘n Crafts is simple. Just go to: https://corksncrafts.com/classes/ Our cheese board resin class is extremely popular right now and a great place to start when it comes to resin pouring. You’ll love learning the various pouring techniques to help you create a one-of-a-kind board.
Keep in mind that your resin project takes about 24 hours to dry. We recommend that you leave your project with us for safe keeping and pick up at a later date.
As always, when you come to Corks ‘n Crafts, you can enjoy an alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage and some food to snack on while crafting! We want your time with us to be fun and relaxing!
If you have additional questions about resin pouring or want to set up a crafting experience for a private group, call us at: 702-684-7223.